Recently, a new couple came to me wanting to have a Destination Wedding in a Catholic Chapel, at an All-Inclusive Resort, in Riviera Maya or Cancun. I spent quite a bit of time searching for all of the Catholic Wedding Chapels in the area that would qualify. It wasn’t an easy task, so I decided to write about the possibilities in the region, to share with others, who also might be searching. These are the current dedicated Catholic Wedding Chapels located within All-Inclusive Resorts:
- Barcelo Maya Beach Resort – Riviera Maya
- Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa – Tulum
- El Dorado Maroma – Playa del Carmen
- Gran Caribe Real – Cancun
- Grand Palladium Colonial, Kantenah, White Sand – Akumal
- Iberostar Grand, Paraiso Maya, Paraiaso Lindo, Paraiso del Mar – Puerto Morelos
- Moon Palace – Puerto Morelos
- Valentin Imperial Maya – Puerto Morelos
- Hard Rock Riviera Maya – Puerto Aventuras *picture above right
Additional information for Catholic preparation: Catholics from other countries can be married in a Mexican chapel. The couple’s own local parish priest must give permission too marry outside and be approved by their parish’s diocese. The parish priest is responsible for the couple’s marriage instruction and prep, and will assist them with obtaining the necessary documents and permissions. Then, the parish priest needs to forward the following to the chancellor of the diocese for review:
- A letter of recommendation (stating that the couple has been prepared in accordance with the marriage guidelines of the diocese;
- Permission has been given for the marriage to be celebrated in Mexico;
- An original copy of the baptism certificate of the Catholic party – dated.
- An original copy of the Confirmation certificate of the Catholic party – dated.
- A “Freedom to Marry” affidavit for each party, witnessed and signed by a parent, relative or close friend (signature witnessed by a pastor/priest). A completed Pre-nuptial Investigation form used in your diocese.
- Color photos of the Bride and Groom
- Copy of the Birth certificate for each
When you are looking for a Destination Wedding & Honeymoon Specialist to assist with your Dream Destination Wedding, go to my website: www.GoTravelStl.com and complete the Perfect Destination Wedding & Honeymoon finder. You may also email or call… Susan@GoTravelStl.com